Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013: Year of the Beat

Theme Song: Lindas Africanas

I know, I know! Africando is not Cuban. But it still rocks, so, if you want a piece of me, come get me, baby.

While you're pondering that one, let's add some stuff to our Gratitude List as we shake, shimmy and roll into 2013, the Year of the Beat (This is el calendario Colibrí, not the Chinese one we're all more familiar with.).

OK! Here goes:

I am grateful for:

  • Having a body
  • Africa
  • The Spanish language
  • Cuba
  • Acoustic instruments
  • Good friends from all over the world
  • Pretty dresses and
  • Good food and wine to keep you going

Life Meets History

Not all of my PC friends are going to like this but, friends, salsa is the ultimate mashup and who can we thank? The indigenous peoples of the island now known as Cuba? Christopher Columbus? Fidel Castro? Yo no sé, but, as for me, I think this points to the miraculous series of contradictions we call life.

What is salsa made out of? It is made out of human spirit, creativity, thirst for life and tragedy and injustice. Crazy. And yet, there we were, last night: queer, not so queer, man, woman, Cuban, San Franciscan, New Jersish (is that how you say it when you're from New Jersey?), Argentinian, Chilean, Mexican and I'm not sure what all else.

We stepped into a beautiful little apartment with gorgeous views and we danced, we sang, we listened to music, we recited poetry and we watched fireworks, shivering San Francisco style, from the balcony (though I have to admit this was a great reason to have the deluxe little Miss Febe Chacon on my lap).

Life is always this crazyrich and ongoing mix of birth, death, tragedy and joy and Cuban salsa is as good enough a way as any to embody all life's contradictions. We don't know what gifts difficulty will bring us and we don't know, actually, what misfortune might result from getting what we thought we wanted.

In 2013 I'm grateful to be going for the ride.

Fasten your seat belts for the Year of the Beat and, baby, let's go.

P.S.Let us know in the comments where you're headed in 2013 and whether we're invited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm leaving this blog open for all comments, but I prefer comments that aren't anonymous. Don't be shy! Tell us who you are. . .