Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Respect

Theme Song: Respect (Amusingly from the album I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You)

Okay, peeps. I have to admit that, for a heartbreak blogger, I haven't been feeling too heartbroken lately.

Like I told Frank Galea, there's an endless amount of heartbreak in this world. We have quality, quantity and variety.

So. It's not as if I'm going to run out of material. If my romantic problems aren't on high volume, I can always talk about yours (Don't be shy, send me some topics and I will cover them like a champ!).

However, one little thing has been bothering me and it's about respect.

Recently, my little French friend has been reaching out to me, via text, despite the fact that I requested that she not contact me at all.

I'm thinking, let's not recall the book about beauty and spirituality (two of my favorite subjects ever) we read. Let's not remember Paris and walking together in the Place des Vosges.

Let's not say you miss me when you told me during our breakup that:

  • You don't love me
  • You're not attracted to me and
  • You don't respect me (Boom!)

Here's why:

I can treasure these memories, maybe, but I think of them as "mine," not "ours." Because there is no "us."

Why Do People Do These Things?

My good friend Febe Chacon summed it up for me with her amazing Chilean accent and penetrating Latin gaze:

"Eets because she doesn't love you and she doesn't care what you do. She want to express herself and you can either answer, or not answer. Those walks een Paris don't mean the same thing to her, because she doesn't care about you. She's just thinking about herself and her desire to express herself. Either that or eets because she ees evil and she ees trying to hurt you."

Right. Scary.

"Find Out What It Means To Me"

Looked at one way, breakups are actually a sign of respect. You respect that the relationship is over and that the best way you can love the person and care for them is to give them space.

Your Turn

How do you show respect after a breakup?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm leaving this blog open for all comments, but I prefer comments that aren't anonymous. Don't be shy! Tell us who you are. . .