Wednesday, August 19, 2015

What Does a Brother Mean?

Theme song: He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

Something I'm having trouble wrapping my head around these days is the fact that I have a brother.

For some of you, this will seem normal. Maybe for me it shouldn't be much of a surprise, either, because I've known about him for as long as I can remember.

However. He was a mythical being and I knew virtually nothing about him.

Three years ago he sought me out on Facebook. It must not have been very easy; he had to make the leap from Yaya Kiggins to Anna Colibri. Come to think of it, I should ask him how he did it. . . .

Those of you in the know know that family is not always easy and men are frequently difficult. I was cautious about letting this new bro into my life.

This having of a new bro is indicative of contemporary times, right? Or maybe it's more proof that plus ça change, plus ça reste le même. Strange instances throughout history of bastard children and Kings with multiple wives probably do litter history. Still, there's lots of talk about how people today have sacrificed family and community for consumption and individuality.

I tend to agree, although I'm probably about as much use as a goldfish describing water. How much perspective do I really have?

So about this bro. When all is said and done, I believing erring on the side of connection is a good thing.

In the past three years, I have met my new/old brother on two occasions. When Second Son and I decided on a trip to Hawaii, I wanted to see my brother.

Here's why:

You might think that if you had a long lost brother, he'd turn out to be a tax accountant in El Cerrito. Not mine. He's tall. He's handsome. He has a gorgeous wife, cute son, and makes a living fixing things. Like my father, he's smart, and charismatic. And he lives on Maui. Epic.

And he's a virtual stranger. And he's my brother.

All of this makes me wonder:

What is a brother? A brother is someone with whom you share at least one parent.

Check.

What does a brother mean? That is the part I don't quite get.

If he were ill, should I offer up my savings for his medical treatment? If he needed a place to stay, should I offer my home? If he needed $20, should I give it? If he wanted a shoulder to cry on, should it be mine?

What does a brother mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm leaving this blog open for all comments, but I prefer comments that aren't anonymous. Don't be shy! Tell us who you are. . .