Friday, November 20, 2015

Is This Poem Intimidating?

Theme song: When I'm 64

I ran across this poem while I was pursuing the life-changing magic of tidying up. It was like a little love-note to my future self because, now that I'm getting older, what once seemed impossible is becoming intriguing. I have to admit, though, that the imagery kind of shocked me, maybe because, however enlightened I think I am, I am still part of a youth culture that doesn't often associate older adults with raw, unbridled passion.

Come to Me

Sue Saniel Elkind

Come to me looking

as you did 50 years ago

arms outstretched

and I will be waiting

virgin again

in white that changes

to splashes of roses

as we lie together

Come to me smiling again

with your mortar and pestle

and vitamin pills

because I am given to colds

and coughs that wrack us both

Oh come to me again

and I will be there

waiting with withered hands

gnarled fingers

that will leave their marks

of passion on your back.

/ / / / / /

What do you think?

[photo credit: wikipedia]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm leaving this blog open for all comments, but I prefer comments that aren't anonymous. Don't be shy! Tell us who you are. . .